0

Recreational Math Links

Published on Thursday, May 25, 2006 in , , , , , , ,

Checkerboard LacingI've recently discovered quite a few links related to recreational mathematics that I'd like to share with you!

1. When talking about the day of the week for any date feat before, I've usually focused on the classic mnemonic version. However, there is another approach to finding the day of the week for any date, called the “doomsday” method. While I've run across this method before, this link goes to one of the clearest step-by-step set of instructions for the doomsday method that I've ever seen.

2. Archimedes' Laboratory is an Italian site filled with puzzles, games, brain teasers and more. Readers of this site will especially be interested in the Curiosities section, and the Archimedes' Laboratory store.

3. Do you think you've seen it all when it comes to recreational mathematics? You can't really say that, at least not until you've visited Ian's Shoelace Site! Until I found this site, I never even considered that there was more than one way to lace shoes, much less that there are 1,961,990,553,600 ways to do so! As I am a big fan of whimsical applications of mathematics, this one struck me as soon as I found it.

4. Just to give you an idea of the amazing applications of math that are out there, check out Knot A Braid of Links (KaBoL, for short). This is a directory of math-related links that has been in operation since 1996. Naturally, some of the older links have moved or been discontinued, but there are still many interesting functional links.

5. Speaking of lists of links, I am in the process of updating my list of affiliated CafePress stores over in the Grey Matters Online Store, so please stop by and check out the new links!

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Post Details

No Response to "Recreational Math Links"