1

Mental Gym Updates

Published on Thursday, April 19, 2012 in , , , , , , ,

bastique's Wikipedia globe keychain photoI teach quite a few fun mental challenges over in the Mental Gym.

While I teach methods in as simple and straightforward a manner as possible, there isn't always just one approach. In this post, I'll take a look at new approaches to feats in the Mental Gym.

In my tutorial on Squaring 2-Digit Numbers Mentally, I already teach two methods - a mathematical approach, and Jim Wilder's pure memory approach.

NumberSense's approach takes advantage of an algebraic pattern. The number is separated into 2 variables, a being the 10s digit and b being the 1s digit. The problem then becomes (a + b)2, whose expanded form shows how to make the problem easier:



Besides making the squaring of two digit numbers easier, this video also illustrates a good point about algebra. Algebra lets you see patterns of which you may not have been previously aware, and help you see a shorter, and possibly better approach.

Another mathematical challenge I tried to simplify over in the Mental Gym was the unit circle and its associated trigonometric functions.

These lessons are especially handy for students taking trigonometry. Here's a handy approach to memorizing the unit circle, especially useful for tests, that works solely by taking advantage of several simple patterns:



We'll wind up this post by focusing on two of the puzzles.

First, there's the Sudoku. I already link to instructions on Sudoku strategy, but if you find those hard to understand, e-How has a series of excellent instructional videos on the Sudoku-solving techniques that you may find helpful.

In the Towers of Hanoi, the seemingly-simple task of moving disks from 1 peg to another quickly gets complicated. Here's a short, direct tutorial that helps make the solving pattern much clearer:



If you've come across an alternative way of doing any of the feats over in the Mental Gym, I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Post Details

1 Response to Mental Gym Updates

Jay
7:48 PM

I'm a mental calculator so I'm drawn more to the rapid calculation feats. I really like the Exponential Expressions feat that is explained. You can really get a lot of mileage out of it using it for root extractions based in similar principle to the cube and fifth root feats explained. When I present the exponent feat I ask someone for a single digit number than ask for another. I raise the first number to the second power. I also ask for a number and raise it to its powers in sequence. I race calculators since it's all from memory anyway. I'd like to see more rapid calculation feats and number feats like this one, but as always, great site.

-Jay