2

R.I.P. Martin Gardner (October 21, 1914 - May 22, 2010)

Published on Saturday, May 22, 2010 in , , ,

Martin GardnerMartin Gardner, the father of modern recreational mathematics and the man who coined the term mathemagician, has passed away. He was 95.

He's the only person ever to have his own category on Grey Matters. I respect him and his work greatly, and will miss him much, even though I never had an oppotunity to meet the man in person.

James Randi has already penned a heartfelt tribute to him.

The Martin Gardner documentary I first ran across in December 2008 is now up on Vimeo, and is a wonderful example of why so many regarded him so highly.



Update (May 23, 2010): James Grime, known to YouTube users as singingbanana has just posted a perfect tribute to Martin Gardner. It teaches how to make one of the master's greatest works, a flexagon:



Forgive me for keeping this blog post short, but it's the hardest one I've ever had to write.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

Post Details

2 Response to R.I.P. Martin Gardner (October 21, 1914 - May 22, 2010)

2:54 PM

Very sad.

11:33 PM

This afternoon I posted the original transcript of the 1979 interview of Martin Gardner for The Two-Year College Math Journal. The complete transcript has never been published, so I dug out the typescript, scanned it, and posted it for everyone to enjoy.